Sunday, February 2, 2014

February Nutrition Athletes of the Month


February Bruin Nutrition Athletes of the Month!

UCLA’s winter sports are off to an impressive start and these February Nutrition Superstars have significantly contributed to their team’s success! Find out how Sydney Sawa and Gonzalo Quiroga use nutrition to excel.

Sydney Sawa-Gymnastics



In the Oregon State Meet on 1/19, Sawa recorded career-best marks on vault (9.95) and floor exercise (9.975), earning a 10.0 from one of the two judges on each event. She also came in as a last-minute sub and scored 9.85 on uneven bars to tie for second place. Sydney earned All-America honors on floor exercise in 2011 and holds career-high marks of 9.9 or better on vault, bars and floor.

In the off-season, Sydney really focused on improving her nutrition and met weekly with Emily to stay focused and ensure that she was “fueling well” to compete at her best!


What is the impact of nutrition on your performance?

Changing my nutrition habits has increased my energy and decreased injuries. I'm able to have quality practices through out the week, instead of feeling completely depleted after one workout. Having good practices obviously leads to being more prepared in competition. It has also helped my improve my performance out of the gym. I have energy to actually pay attention in class and get work done, rather than needing to take a 4 hr nap and waste a day. Life's too short to be missing out on stuff because you don't have enough energy! 

What is your favorite recovery food/drink?

Chocolate coconut water. Tastes fantastic and makes me feel A+.  J
What is the biggest difference that you have seen in your performance when you have made changes to your diet?
Definitely recovery. In past years my body would be completely run down and hurt at the end of every week. Each day of soreness would lead into the next setting me up for being every more injury prone. I realized how important it is to refuel in that 30 min window post workout, in order for me to feel good the next day. Consistency is key with these habits, because you can't expect to have results if you're only doing it when you "feel like it" or just "remember."


Gonzalo Quiroga- Men’s Volleyball


Gonzalo has powered the Men’s Volleyball team to #1 NCAA Ranking and a record 10 straight victories! He has double-digit kills in nine of ten matches this season and set to have his best season of his UCLA career.
In 2013, Earned 1st Team AVCA All-America honors and 1st Team All-MPSF acclaim. In the national statistical rankings he finished the season ranked fifth in aces per set, 10th in points per set, 15th in kills per set and 24th in kill percentage. In the final MPSF statistical rankings, he finished first in aces per set, 10th in kills per set and seventh in points per set.

Gonzalo was nominated due to his consistent dedication to his diet and using food as fuel!

What is the impact of nutrition on your performance?
I feel nutrition helps me to be ready to perform at any time. That way my mind can trust my body
What is your favorite recovery food/drink?
My favorite drink is Chocolate Muscle Milk after practice
What is the biggest difference that you have seen in your performance when you have made changes to your diet?
The biggest difference is that I do not get as tired, as I was before when I was not eating properly.


How do you USE NUTRITION to IMPROVE your GAME?

Fueling the Best,
Emily Mitchell, MS, RD, CSSD, CDE
Director of Sports Nutrition
UCLA Athletics

No comments:

Post a Comment