Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Student-Athlete of the Month!

We would like to introduce you to our student-athlete of the month for Novemeber, Katelyn Rowland, the goalkeeper for the UCLA soccer team. 

Katelyn was chosen to represent the sports nutrition department this month because of her commitment to fueling and proper nutrition. Katelyn is a junior and grew up in Walnut Creek, California. She has many athletic achievements under her belt, including being a member of the US Under-20 National Team in the summer of 2013. 


We got together with Katelyn to ask her a little bit about what sports nutrition means to her:


Q: What is the impact of nutrition on your performance?

A: Nutrition and eating right has always been important in my life, however it was not until this year that I learned the difference between eating right, and eating what your body needs in order to compete at a high level, as we do here at UCLA. My biggest problem in my eating habits was that I was eating to be healthy rather than fueling myself with what was going to benefit my performance as a division one collegiate athlete. I also realized that not fueling my body was selfish. My team deserved for me to take care of my body according to what it needed in order to peak each day in training, and ultimately in the games. Fueling my body correctly has not only allowed me to reach my full potential, but also push myself to new limits everyday in training, in order to get better. 

Q: What is your favorite recovery food/drink?

A: My favorite recovery drink is chocolate milk/Gatorade, and my favorite recovery food is a turkey sandwich. 

Q: What is the biggest difference that you have seen in your performance when you have made changes to your diet?

A: Since I have made changes to my diet, I have noticed myself having so much more energy! Which allows me to not only perform my best, but also produce results (which is very exciting)! I can honestly say that the changes that Emily has helped me make to my diet this year has helped me exponentially in my overall performance here at UCLA. 

 Thanks, Katelyn for being a great role model on and off the field. Keep up the good work! 

Fueling Bruins,
Ema Thake, MS, RD 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment